The concentration of the Chloride ion gives a quick measurement of salinity of water samples. Use the Chloride ISE to measure chloride levels in ocean saltwater or salt in food samples.
The Chloride ISE has a combination-style, non-refillable, gel-filled electrode. Unlike other ISEs available from Vernier, the Chloride ISE has a solid-state membrane that does not need to be replaced.
Important: Ion-Selective Electrodes require good chemical technique and careful calibration to obtain accurate results; they are not recommended for middle school or elementary students.
View the Chloride Ion-Selective Electrode user manual
- Range: 10 to 20,000 mg/L or ppm
- Accuracy: ±10% of full scale (calibrated 10 to 1000 mg/L)
- pH range: 2 to 12
- Interfering ions: CN–, Br–, I–, S2-
- Electrode slope (log voltage vs. concentration): –56 mV/decade
- Electrode resistance: 1 to 4 MΩ
- Temperature range (can be placed in): 0 to 50°C (no temperature compensation)
- Minimum immersion: 1.1 inch
- Electrode length: 155 mm
- Body diameter: 12 mm
- Cap diameter: 16 mm
- Cable length: 100 cm
Experiments and Lab Ideas
Water Quality with Vernier (1)
Includes student instructions, teacher tips, safety information, and sample data.Go to Book Page
Lab Ideas and Innovative Uses
Do you have an innovative use for Vernier technology? What about a favorite lab or demo? We love to hear what creative uses people have for our products. Please email them to email@example.com
The Chloride Ion-Selective Electrode may require a compatible interface and software. Choose a platform below to see compatible interface and software options.
The Chloride Ion-Selective Electrode is fully supported with LabQuest 2 (version 2.7.1), a standalone data logger with built-in graphing and analysis software.
Learn more about LabQuest 2 »
You can also use the Chloride Ion-Selective Electrode with these platforms:
- Vernier Chloride Ion-Selective Electrode
- 30 mL bottle of Chloride Low Standard (10 mg/L)
- 30 mL bottle of Chloride High Standard (1000 mg/L)
- Short-term ISE soaking bottle
- User manual
All prices are for U.S. educators.
Educational use only: Vernier products are designed for educational use. They are not appropriate for industrial, medical, or commercial applications. Product usage disclaimer »