Our affordable Fluorescence/UV-VIS Spectrophotometer is designed specifically for upper-level chemistry courses. We’ve combined the functionality of a fluorometer with the power of a UV/VIS spectrophotometer to allow students to easily and accurately conduct numerous fluorescence experiments with compounds such as quinine sulfate, DAPI, GFP, and tryptophan. Exchangeable LEDs ensure you get the exact excitation wavelength needed for your experiment. To conduct emission spectra experiments simply attach the Vernier Spectrophotometer Optical Fiber.
The Fluorescence/UV-VIS Spectrophotometer connects directly to a computer or LabQuest. Data can be collected and analyzed using our Logger Pro software, so there is no need to train students on yet another instrument software.
View the Vernier Fluorescence/UV-VIS Spectrophotometer user manual
- Detection modes: Absorbance and Fluorescence
- Dimensions: 18.5 cm × 17.0 cm × 7.0 cm
- Power supply: AC adapter (included)
- Power consumption: 3 A start-up, 500 mA continuous
- Absorbance light source: deuterium (UV) and incandescent (VIS)
- Emission light source: Exchangeable LED (ships with 375 nm, 450 nm, 525 nm)
- Detector: Linear CCD
- Wavelength range: 220–850 nm
- Wavelength reporting interval: ~ 1 nm
- Optical resolution: 3.0 nm (as determined with 486 nm hydrogen emission spectral line FWHM)
- Wavelength accuracy: ± 2.0 nm (as determined with holmium oxide NIST standard)
- Absorbance photometric accuracy: ± 5.0% (as determined with potassium dichromate NIST standards)
- Absorbance photometric range (for best accuracy): 0.1–1.0
- Typical scan time: ~ 2 s
- Sample format: 10 mm × 10 mm cuvette (UV fluorescence cuvette included)
- Fluorescence emission detection limit: 1 mg/L quinine sulfate dihydrate in 0.1 M H2SO4
Experiments and Lab Ideas
Preview and/or edit the spectroscopy experiments for your curriculum by downloading the experiments below. The Student download includes objectives, materials, procedures, and analysis. The Instructor download includes notes, sample results and graphs, and answers.
||Absorbance and Fluorescence Characterization of Quinine
The Vernier Fluorescence/UV-VIS Spectrophotometer may require a compatible interface and software. Choose a platform below to see compatible interface and software options.
A future update will support data collection with the Vernier Fluorescence/UV-VIS Spectrophotometer and LabQuest 2, a standalone data logger.
Learn more about LabQuest 2 »
|Interface||Logger ProVersion 3.13|
|No interface required||Future support|
All prices are for U.S. educators.
Educational use only: Vernier products are designed for educational use. They are not appropriate for industrial, medical, or commercial applications. Product usage disclaimer »