Use the Vernier Projectile Launcher to investigate important concepts in two-dimensional kinematics. Launch steel balls at angles between 0 and 70 degrees and over distances up to 2.5 m.
The solid, heavy base provides an easy-to-use and reliable setup. A unique pneumatic launching system provides excellent repeatability and allows you to set the launch speed.
Built-in photogates and angle markings provide easy and accurate measurement of the ball’s launch velocity, allowing for precise quantitative analysis of projectile motion. Simply plug the device into a compatible data-collection interface.
Download the user manual for full specifications
- Launch angle: 0 to 70 degrees
- Launch speed: 0-6 m/s
- Launch height: 146 mm
- Maximum launch distance: 2.5 m
- Internal photogate interval: 50 mm
- Steel ball diameter: 17.46 mm
- Steel ball mass: 21.8 g
Sample experiments include:
- Investigate the independence of the horizontal and vertical motion
- Use the photogates to measure launch velocity
- Knowing the launch velocity, predict the landing point when a ball is launched horizontally from a table top
- Knowing the launch velocity and launch angle, predict the landing point when a ball is launched at an angle on a lab table
- Knowing the launch velocity and launch angle, launch a ball through a horizontal or vertical hoop
- Investigate projectile range as a function of launch angle
- Determine which launch angles give the same range
- Determine which launch angle gives the maximum range
- Investigate the repeatability of the launcher
- Use the launcher, a video camera and the video features of Logger Pro to observe the launch path
- Given a specific launch distance, calculate the launch velocity needed to hit the target. Use the photogates to set the device to that launch velocity and test your prediction.
The Vernier Projectile Launcher may require a compatible interface and software. Choose a platform below to see compatible interface and software options.
The Vernier Projectile Launcher is fully supported with LabQuest 2 (version 2.7.1), a standalone data logger with built-in graphing and analysis software.
Learn more about LabQuest 2 »
You can also use the Vernier Projectile Launcher with these platforms:
- 6 Steel balls
- Hand pump
- 2 pair of goggles
- Roll of wax marking paper
- Photogate cable
- User manual
All prices are for U.S. educators.
Educational use only: Vernier products are designed for educational use. They are not appropriate for industrial, medical, or commercial applications. Product usage disclaimer »