-Primary Test: Make sure that the hand grips and the receiver are in alignment. The arrow symbol on the left hand grip and the receiver should be held in parallel alignment. The hand grips and the receiver should be at the same level.
-Secondary Test: Confirm that the following are OK:
1. the receiver is within 80 cm of the hand grips
2. there are no electrical devices within 25 centimeters of the receiver (interfaces, computers,cell phones, electrical lab equipment)
3. no other receivers or transmitters are near the sensor
4. the contacts are clean
5. readings are stabilized before starting the data collection
6. if the reading for the Heart Beats Graph in Logger Pro (Graph 2 in LabQuest) is a flat line, the battery may be dead. As units approach their third and fourth year of service, the battery at the base of the hand grips needs to be changed. The battery is a CR 2025, available at most drug stores. Please be sure to dispose of the old battery properly. To find a battery disposal facility near you, visit http://www.rbrc.org/