Recommended for High School through College.
The goal of this activity is for students to learn more about the history of information technology, how past and current information technology works, and find a way to apply some of that knowledge to creating their own information-transmission device or procedure.
- Develop a wave-based communication method.
- Successfully transmit and receive a message using the designed method.
Sensors and Equipment
This experiment features the following Vernier sensors and equipment.
You may also need an interface and software for data collection. What do I need for data collection?
Next Generation Science Standards
Disciplinary Core Ideas
- PS4.A Wave Properties
- PS4.C Information Technologies and Instrumentation
- Energy and Matter
Science and Engineering Practices
- Asking Questions and Defining Problems
- Obtaining, Evaluating, and Communicating Information
- Constructing Explanations and Designing Solutions