A calibration equation is stored on each pH Sensor before it is shipped. For the most accurate measurements with this sensor, we recommend you perform your own 2-point calibration with buffer solutions.
As the pH Sensor ages, the performance of the electrode will change and drift from the saved calibration. Good maintenance and recalibration of the pH Sensor will ensure the readings are accurate.
Preparing the pH Sensor for Calibration
First, remove the storage bottle and rinse the tip with DI water. Never wipe the sensing tip. Instead of wiping the sensing glass, you may blot the tip with a lint-free paper towel to remove excess moisture, but be extra careful not to rub the surface of the glass.
Preparing the Calibration Solutions
To do a two-point calibration for a pH sensor you will need two different pH buffer solutions. Your calibration is only as good as your knowledge of the reference values. For best results, the two calibration points should be widely separated and bracketing the range you anticipate in your experiment. For most chemistry experiments, we recommend buffer solutions of pH 4, 7, and 10. There are multiple ways to obtain these solutions:
- Vernier sells a pH buffer kit as pH Buffer Capsule Kit. The kit contains 10 tablets each of buffer pH 4, 7, and 10, and a small bottle of buffer preservative. Each tablet is added to 100 mL of distilled water to prepare the respective pH buffer solutions.
- Buffer capsules and prepared buffer solutions are also commonly available through a variety of chemical suppliers.
- You can prepare your own buffer solutions using the following recipes:
Performing pH Sensor calibration
For the step-by-step instructions to calibrate the pH Sensor, see the list below.
- How do I calibrate a sensor in Logger Pro?
- How do I manually calibrate my sensor in LabQuest?
- How do I manually calibrate my sensor in Graphical Analysis 4?
- How do I manually calibrate my sensor in Graphical Analysis 4 for iOS/Android?
- How do I manually calibrate my Go Wireless pH or EA in Graphical Analysis GW for iPad or Android?