Nitrate concentration, which can be increased by acidic rainfall, fertilizer runoff from fields, and plant or animal decay or waste, is an important parameter in nearly all water quality studies. Use the Nitrate ISE to determine the concentration of the nitrate ion in a water sample.
The Nitrate ISE has a combination-style, non-refillable, gel-filled electrode. Like all other PVC ISE membranes, the membrane on the ISE has a limited life expectancy. However, the replaceable module of ISE allows you to simply discard the used membrane module, and replace it with a new one.
Note: We recommend that you do not purchase ISE replacement modules too far in advance of their expected time of use as degradation occurs while they are stored on the shelf.
Important: Ion-Selective Electrodes require good chemical technique and careful calibration to obtain accurate results; they are not recommended for middle school or elementary students.
Download the user manual for full specifications
- Range: 1 to 10,000 mg/L or ppm
- Accuracy: ±10% of full scale (calibrated 1 to 100 mg/L)
- pH range: 2.5 to 11
- Interfering ions: CIO4–, I–, ClO3–, CN–, BF4–
- Electrode slope (log voltage vs. concentration): –56 mV/decade
- Electrode resistance: 1 to 4 MΩ
- Temperature range (can be placed in): 0 to 50°C (no temperature compensation)
- Minimum immersion: 1.1 inch
- Electrode length: 155 mm
- Body diameter: 12 mm
- Cap diameter: 16 mm
- Cable length: 100 cm
Experiments and Lab Ideas
Water Quality with Vernier (1)
Includes student instructions, teacher tips, safety information, and sample data.Go to Book Page
Lab Ideas and Innovative Uses
Do you have an innovative use for Vernier technology? What about a favorite lab or demo? We love to hear what creative uses people have for our products. Please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Nitrate Ion-Selective Electrode may require a compatible interface and software. Choose a platform below to see compatible interface and software options.
The Nitrate Ion-Selective Electrode is fully supported with LabQuest 2 (version 2.8), a standalone data logger with built-in graphing and analysis software.
Learn more about LabQuest 2 »
You can also use the Nitrate Ion-Selective Electrode with these platforms:
- Vernier Nitrate Ion-Selective Electrode
- 30 mL bottle of Nitrate Low Standard (1 mg/L)
- 30 mL bottle of Nitrate High Standard (100 mg/L)
- Short-term ISE soaking bottle
- User manual