In February of 2017, Go Direct® SpectroVis® Plus Spectrophotometer, order code GDX-SVISPL, $399 replaced the SpectroVis Plus, order code SVIS-PL.
There are very few differences between the Go Direct SpectroVis Plus and the SpectroVis Plus (SVIS-PL) when it comes to the detector, optics and light source. Most of the real differences are related to the fact that the Go Direct version has built-in bluetooth connectivity, making it wireless. The GDX-SVISPL can still be used directly with a USB cable to collect data using Logger Pro on a computer, LabQuest App on a LabQuest 2, or Spectral Analysis on a Chromebook or computer.
1. Both can be connected via USB to a computer (using Logger Pro or Spectral Analysis), LabQuest (using LabQuest App), or Chromebook (using Spectral Analysis).
2. The GDX-SVISPL has all of the hardware and firmware revisions that went into the last generation of SVIS-PL units. This includes a flatter detector response in the emissions mode, a tighter cuvette holder, electronics to protect the lamp, as well as a lamp with better long-term life expectancy.
1. The GDX-SVISPL has Bluetooth so it can transmit wirelessly directly to tablets, phones and other devices (the SVIS-PL cannot do this).
2. The GDX-SVISPL has an external power supply and a removable battery (SVIS-PL does not). Please note that the GDX-SVISPL does not require the battery or AC power to work over USB. If you are using the GDX-SVISPL via USB cable, we recommend not using the AC power supply as it generates a small amount of heat that could potentially warm the sample. The battery is also not required when connecting with USB, so you may wish to remove it.
3. The GDX-SVISPL has power saving features. After an extended period of time without activity, the device will turn the lamp off. The SVIS-PL does not have this feature.
4. The GDX-SVISPL has better optical resolution and better wavelength accuracy than the SVIS-PL.
5. The GDX-SVISPL has a lower light path than the SVIS-PL. This means that it can be used with smaller volume samples, and generally works better with semi-micro cuvettes.
6. If measuring emissions with an optical fiber, the GDX-SVISPL must be used with Vernier Spectrophotometer Optical Fiber, order code VSP-FIBER, $74. SVIS-PL must be used with SpectroVis Optical Fiber, order code SVIS-FIBER, $69.