Specifications and User Guide for
Go Direct® Sensor Cart (Yellow), order code GDX-CART-Y, $169 and Go Direct® Sensor Cart (Green), order code GDX-CART-G, $169
The Go Direct Sensor Cart is a dynamics cart with in-built position, force and acceleration sensors.
Each dynamics cart includes
• Encoder wheel to report position
• 3-axis accelerometer to measure independent acceleration
• 50 N force sensor to measure push and pulls
• Mass trays for changing total mass
• Plunger for collision and impulse studies
• Low friction wheels for uniform motion
Go Direct Sensor Cart is available in green and yellow in order to facilitate classroom discussions about collisions. The two colors are designed to be distinguishable by many color-blind viewers. Data column names have a suffix of “Y” or “G” so that you can tell the carts apart in a data table. When only one cart is used, disregard the suffix.
• Go Direct Sensor Cart
• Force Sensor Hook
• Flat-top Rubber Bumper for Force Sensor
• Anti-Roll peg
• 4 empty Collision Tabs
• Micro USB Cable
Connect to the cart in Graphical Analysis 4.
Enable Position and Force.
View meter readouts of position and force in Graphical Analysis 4.
Roll cart on table in direction of force sensor. Does position reading increase?
Push on force sensor. Does sensor respond with a negative reading?
-Minimum software version: Graphical Analysis 4.3 for macOS, Windows, ChromeOS, iOS, or Android.
Position resolution 0.25 mm, displaying to nearest 1 mm
Nominal Mass 275 g excluding accessories
Accessory Port Available for future expansion
Force response time 1 ms
Force range ±50 N
Acceleration range ±160 m/s2
USB specification USB 2.0 full speed
Wireless specification Bluetooth v4.2
Maximum wireless range 30 m (unobstructed)
1. Length: 16.6 cm, not including accessories mounted to the force sensor
2. Width: 9.6 cm
3. Height: 4.7 cm
Battery 300 mAh Li-Poly Rechargeable
Battery life (single full charge) ~10 hours continuous data collection
Battery life (long term) ~300 full charge cycles (several years depending on usage)
Position in m
The position channel does not need to be calibrated, nor can it be calibrated. The Position channel can be zeroed. This is useful to establish a zero position on a track. Do not pick up the cart after zeroing to avoid disturbing the zero. The Position Sensor can also be reversed. This is useful when using two carts in collision mode with force sensors facing one another. To put the two carts on the same coordinate system, reverse the direction of the position and force sensors on one cart, and zero the cart positions with the carts in contact.
Force in N
This sensor is factory calibrated. If you would like to calibrate the force sensor yourself, use a two-point calibration: no force applied and a known force applied. It is easiest to simply hang a mass from the hook. We recommend a 1 kg mass. Do not exceed the maximum of 50 N during calibration.
The Force Sensor can be zeroed. This is useful after calibration to remove the weight of the hook. The Force Sensor can also be reversed so that push is positive.
X, Y, and Z Acceleration in m/s2
This sensor is factory calibrated.
The Go Direct Sensor Cart can be used in a variety of experiments:
• Collect position, velocity, and acceleration data as the cart rolls freely up and down an incline.
• Observe collisions between two carts, test for the conservation of momentum, or measure energy changes during different types of collisions.
• Investigate the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.
• Examine the energies involved in simple harmonic motion.
• Measure a cart’s momentum change and compare it to the impulse it receives.
RELATED VERNIER PRODUCTS
Dynamics Cart and Track System with Go Direct® Sensor Cart, order code DTS-GDX, $499
Go Direct® Sensor Cart Accessory Kit, order code GDX-CART-AK, $52
Dynamics Cart and Track System, order code DTS, $269