Here are experiments our science specialists have selected to support the IB* topic.
Experiment #25 from Physics with Vernier
- Use a Magnetic Field Sensor to measure the field at the center of a coil.
- Determine the relationship between magnetic field and the number of turns in a coil.
- Determine the relationship between magnetic field and the current in a coil.
- Explore the Earth’s magnetic field in your room.
Experiment #12 from Advanced Physics with Vernier — Beyond Mechanics
In this experiment, you will
- Collect current vs. time and potential vs. time data for a pair of solenoids.
- Explain how the magnetic flux through the secondary solenoid depends on the current in the primary.
- Relate the shape of the graph of potential vs. time in the secondary to that of current vs. time in the primary.
- Calculate the induced emf produced by alternating current in the primary and compare this to experimental findings.