In this experiment, you will first use a computer to find the normal melting temperature of ice. Then by adding salt to melting ice, you will see the effect of salt on the melting temperature of ice. You will next make and test a plan for reaching the coldest temperature using water, ice, and salt. Finally, you will have a contest to see which group can make their mixture reach the lowest temperature.
In this experiment, you will
- Measure temperature.
- Find the normal melting temperature of ice.
- See the effect of adding salt on ice’s melting temperature.
- Plan and test an experiment to find the salt and ice combination that will make the coldest temperature.
- Compete with other groups trying to reach the coldest temperature.
- Apply the results of the experiment.