1. Disconnect the unit from AC power.
2. On the back of the unit you will find the battery cover, which is held in place with four small Phillips head screws.
3. Remove the four screws with a #1 Phillips screwdriver and put them in a safe place. Note that using a different size screwdriver can strip the screws.
4. Gently lift the battery out using the pull tab.
5. The battery is connected to LabQuest with a small, white plug that is inserted into a socket secured to the circuit board.
6. Disconnect the plug by resting your fingernail on the lip of the white plug and gently slide white plug away from the socket. Be sure to slide the plug out in a lateral motion; lifting the connector may break the socket.
7. Wait at least 15 seconds.
8. Insert the new battery by first positioning the white plug near the socket such that the red wire is adjacent to the pull tab and the black wire is adjacent to the edge of the battery chamber. Gently slide the plug one third of the way into the socket, then apply gentle pressure to push the plug the rest of the way into the socket.
9. Make sure the pull tab is positioned below the battery. Then place the battery into the chamber while holding the wires in a loop at the end of the battery.
10. With the battery in place, tuck the loop of wires at the end of the battery into the small space between the battery and the edge of the chamber.
Note: Be sure to follow the instructions for Steps 9 and 10. If the wires are instead positioned under the battery, they may cause shorting in the electrical connections.
11. Replace the battery cover and gently tighten the four screws. Over-tightening the screws may cause the battery door to crack.
12. LabQuest will do a full boot afterward, which takes about 3 minutes. Connect the unit to AC power and leave the screen on overnight while charging the new battery. After 8 or more hours, disconnect LabQuest from the charger before turning it off. Note: leaving the screen on during charging is only necessary during the first charge.
Original LabQuest Battery Troubleshooting and FAQs
LabQuest Replacement Battery (LQ-BAT)