In order to get the Laserjet P1606dn printer to work with LabQuest 1 or 2, you must be running the latest LabQuest version and then follow instructions to disable the printer's built-in Windows HP Smart Install (you will need a Windows computer to do this.)
Before following the LabQuest instructions to add the driver for the HP LaserJet P1606dn, your LabQuest version must be 1.7 or newer, or 2.1 or newer - if you need to update, go here:
Here are the instructions for preparing the printer for use with a LabQuest.
1. Reset the P1606dn printer to its default settings by powering it off, pressing and holding both buttons on the top of the printer at the same time while powering it back on, and then waiting until all the indicator lights blink simultaneously before releasing the buttons.
2. Connect the printer to a Windows PC (you must use Windows, no disable utility exists for Mac or Linux.) If the Found New Hardware wizard appears, cancel it. Unplug the printer, and plug it back in until the "Welcome to HP Smart Install" dialog appears. Click on the Exit button.
3. Insert the original CD-ROM that came with the printer and cancel any automatic start of the install program.
4. Run SIUtility.exe or SIUtility64.exe from the UTIL folder. Click on the "Printer" button. Select the printer in the list and click on "Next". In the window that pops up, click on the "Disable HP Smart Install..." button. Close all the windows.
5. Plug the HP LaserJet P1606dn printer into the LabQuest with a USB cable.
6. To see if the printer is recognized,
LabQuest 1: tap the Home icon, tap Control Panel, and then tap Printers.
LabQuest 2: tap the Home icon, tap Preferences, and then tap Printers.
Now tap Scan for Printers. After a few seconds, you should see "HP Laserjet Professional P1606dn" appear in the Printers list. Select that printer in the list and tap Install. Close the Printer Configuration window.
7. Try printing.
If you are getting error messages while trying to print, please call Vernier Technical Support at 888-837-6437.