Go Direct sensors running older firmware need to be updated. While sensors with older firmware will work with
Graphical Analysis 4 and LabQuest App, there likely will be subtle differences in software features and behavior compared to sensors running the newest firmware.
To determine if your sensor needs a firmware update using Graphical Analysis 4
1. Launch Graphical Analysis 4.
2. Connect your sensor and look for the the following
When connecting via Bluetooth: an Update Firmware button shown in the Connected Devices list, under the sensor.
Note: You cannot update the sensor while connected via wireless connection.
When connecting via USB: the Sensor Setup button (lower right corner of the app) will have a red dot
To determine if your sensor needs a firmware update using LabQuest App (v2.8.5 or newer)
1. Connect your sensor via wireless or USB connection.
2. Once connected, a dialog will be shown when a firmware update is available for that sensor.
Note: You cannot update the sensor firmware from a LabQuest.
Update the Firmware
You must use a computer* or Chromebook running Graphical Analysis 4 to update firmware. (See https://www.vernier.com/ga4 )
1. Launch the most recent version of the Graphical Analysis 4 app on a computer or Chromebook.
2. Connect the sensor to the computer or Chromebook via USB.
3. Click or tap the Sensor Setup button (lower right corner of the screen) to launch the Sensors dialog.
4. Click or tap the Update Firmware button under the sensor you wish to update.
5. Click or tap the Close App and Update Firmware button.
6. When the update is complete, click or tap the Return to Graphical Analysis button. Your sensor is now updated.
*Note that using a virtual machine (for instance Parallels on a Mac) while updating the firmware is problematic. During the update process, the device will go into a special mode that may confuse your computer into thinking the device has been unplugged and plugged back in. This will confuse the virtual machine. To update the firmware in those situations, use Graphical Analysis on the host operating system, and shut down or pause any virtual machines until the update is complete.