When updating an original LabQuest, the update can fail when trying to update the LabQuest Battery Driver software. This typically happens when the battery in your LabQuest does not have sufficient charge, is going bad and needs replacement, or is not in the unit.
LabQuest Replacement Battery (LQ-BAT)
To resolve the issue, do the following:
1) Remove the USB Flash Drive from the unit. If not already configured this way, reconfigure the update files as described in the link below.
What is the ideal way to prepare a USB thumb drive for updating original LabQuest?
2) Disconnect the AC Adapter from the unit.
3) Remove the LabQuest battery from the unit and replace it with a battery that is fully charged. (If you have recently updated other units successfully, use the battery from one of those units.)
See How do I remove or replace an original LabQuest battery?
4) Reconnect the USB Flash Drive.
5) Turn the unit on and wait for the unit to boot.
If the unit does not boot on its own, reset the unit. See How do I reboot or reset an original LabQuest?
If the unit still won’t boot, follow the Recovery Instructions found in My original LabQuest is displaying white text on a black screen and will not boot.
6) Once the unit has booted, run the update again to ensure the unit is fully updated.
If this does not resolve the issue, contact Vernier technical support for additional assistance.