Yes. The duration of time viruses can live on various surfaces ranges from several hours to several days, so precautions should be taken when students share laboratory equipment.

In regards to the virus that causes COVID-19, the CDC suggests three general categories of disinfectants: bleach, alcohol, and other EPA-approved disinfectants. The bleach and alcohol options will likely damage the plastics of which our sensors are constructed, so we do not recommend using those. From the third category, we have tested Clorox Disinfecting Wipes. These wipes are found on the EPA-approved list and in our testing, appear to cause no harm to the sensor. If you use another brand, we recommend trying a small test patch first.

The CDC information on disinfection, including a link to EPA-approved products, can be found here