Here are experiments our science specialists have selected to support the IB* topic.
Experiment #10 from Physics with Vernier
- Use a Photogate to study the acceleration of an Atwood’s machine.
- Determine the relationships between the masses on an Atwood’s machine and the acceleration.
Experiment #13 from Physics with Vernier
- Observe the effect of air resistance on falling coffee filters.
- Determine how air resistance and mass affect the terminal velocity of a falling object.
- Choose between two competing force models for the air resistance on falling coffee filters.
Experiment #12 from Physics with Vernier
- Use a Dual-Range Force Sensor to measure the force of static and kinetic friction.
- Determine the relationship between force of static friction and the weight of an object.
- Measure the coefficients of static and kinetic friction for a particular block and track.
- Use a Motion Detector to independently measure the coefficient of kinetic friction and compare it to the previously measured value.
- Determine if the coefficient of kinetic friction depends on weight.