Here are experiments our science specialists have selected to support the IB* topic.
Experiment #33 from Physics with Vernier
- Measure how long it takes sound to travel down and back in a long tube.
- Determine the speed of sound.
- Compare the speed of sound in air to the accepted value.
Experiment #19 from Physics with Video Analysis
In this activity, you will
- Study movies that show transverse and longitudinal disturbances moving along a stretched Slinky lying on a very slick (low friction) floor.
- Think about the process by which the disturbances propagate along the Slinky, measure the wave speeds, and consider what properties of the Slinky will affect the speed of the waves.