The physical properties of a pure substance can be used to identify the substance and distinguish it from other pure substances. Boiling temperature is one such physical property. This is the temperature at which a substance changes rapidly from its liquid state into a gas. Rapid formation of bubbles is evidence that the liquid is at its boiling temperature. In this experiment, you will study the boiling of water.
In this experiment, you will
- Observe the boiling of water.
- Use a computer to measure temperature.
- Analyze data.
- Use your data and graph to make conclusions about boiling.
- Determine the boiling temperature of water.
- Apply the concepts studied in a new situation.