When a file is saved in Vernier Video Analysis it is treated like a downloaded browser file. Manipulating files on iPad and iPhones is not a familiar process. The vast majority of the steps below are not unique to Vernier Video Analysis; the steps are mostly about how to manipulate files on iOS/iPadOS devices. Other applications may use this same workflow.
These instructions are based on using the Safari browser with iPadOS 13.4.1. The details may change with newer operating systems and other browsers.
Saving a File
After doing some analysis you may want to save your work to continue later.
- Tap the File menu icon, , and choose Save As… .
- Tap Download to save the file.
- A download icon, , will appear to the right of the URL. Tap the download icon to display the name of the downloaded file.
- Use the search icon, , to go to the downloads folder.
Renaming the File
The file names set by default are unique but unhelpful. You will likely want to rename them to something more meaningful.
- Press and hold the the file name until the context menu is displayed.
- Tap Rename and change the name of the file as desired. Changing the name will not remove the .vmbl extension.
- Tap Done when finished.
Moving the File to a new Location
You may want to move the file to a better location than the browser downloads folder. Your options for where you can save the file depend entirely on how you have set up locations like Google Drive, Dropbox, iCloud, and other services on your device.
- Again press and hold the file name to display the context popup menu.
- Tap Move to begin to move the file to a new location of your choice.
- Navigate to your desired location.
- Tap Copy to copy the file into this location.
Creating a Folder on your Device (Optional)
If you don’t have cloud storage set up, you might want to set up a folder on your device to save your Vernier Video Analysis files. You only have to create this folder once. Note: You won’t have this option if your device is shared such that you must log into it.
- Tap On my iPhone or On my iPad to select your device.
- Tap the add folder icon, , to make a new folder.
- Give the new folder a name.
- When moving files, select this folder from the move file dialog, and then tap Copy.
Open a file from a Known Location
- Tap the File menu icon, , and select New Experiment.
- Tap CHOOSE FILE and select Browse. You now see the standard Files browser on your device. Your view may be deep into folders on a storage location.
- Tap the Browse folder icon, , to jump to the top level list of all the storage locations configured on your device such as iCloud, Google Drive, and Drop Box.
- Navigate to the location of your file.
- Tap the name of your file to open it.
- The Open dialog option will display a list of recently viewed documents. The list may include the file you are looking for if you have recently saved it. This can be a time-saver.
- To set up a cloud service such as Google Drive, install and log in to the service’s app. Then use the Files app to add the new location to the list of services.