Here are experiments our science specialists have selected to support the IB* topic.
Experiment #16 from Advanced Biology with Vernier
In this experiment, you will
- Observe the reaction rate of acetylcholinesterase (AChE) found in heart tissue.
- Compare the reaction rate of AChE from different fractions of heart tissue.
- Observe the effect that the compound tacrine has on the reaction rate of AChE.
- Generate a dose-response curve for the compound tacrine.
- Estimate the effective IC50 of tacrine on heart AChE.
Experiment #4 from Human Physiology Experiments
- Graph the electrical activity of a muscle activated by a reflex arc through nerves to and from the spinal cord.
- Compare the relative speeds of voluntary and reflex muscle activation.
- Associate muscle activity with involuntary activation.
- Observe the effect of central nervous system influence on reflex amplitude.
- Calculate the approximate speed of a nerve impulse.
- Compare reflex response and electrical amplitude in different subjects.