Go Direct Fluorescence/UV-VIS Spectrophotometer
For general instructions, see Specifications and User Guide
The Vernier Fluorescence/UV-VIS Spectrophotometer is no longer available for purchase. It was sold between January 2017 and January 2022. For general instructions, see Specifications and User Guide
– Primary Test:
Are you using LabQuest App v2.8.8 or v3.0.5, or Spectral Analysis v4.11, Logger Pro 3.16.1 or newer?
1. Connect the AC power supply to the spectrophotometer. Turn the power switch to the ON position. Wait for the lamp indicator LED to remain green.
2. If connecting via USB: Connect the spectrophotometer directly to the USB port.
If connecting via bluetooth (Go Direct version only): Connect the spectrometer to the USB power adapter or to a powered USB hub. The bluetooth LED will blink. Note: Do NOT plug the USB into a computer USB port to run with Bluetooth.
3. Start the appropriate data-collection software. Options include: Logger Pro 3, LabQuest App, and Spectral Analysis. The latest version of software is available as a free download here: https://www.vernier.com/downloads/
4. Set the spectrometer to collect data in absorbance vs wavelength mode, if not already done.
5. Calibrate the spectrometer with the appropriate solvent.
6. Collect a spectrum with a known sample where the absorbance falls between 0.1 and 1.0 absorbance units.
– Secondary Test:
Review What are some tips for improving my Fluorescence/UV-VIS Spectrophotometer data?
- If you plan on only taking fluorescence data, the power cable does not need to be attached, nor does the power switch need to be on. This will help save your deuterium lamp for absorbance measurements.
- In fluorescence measurements, the inner-filter effect is always a consideration. The inner filter effect results in an apparent decrease in emission quantum yield and/or distortion of bandshape as a result of reabsorption of emitted radiation. To avoid this, it is best to perform fluorescence measurements on samples that have an absorbance below 0.1.
RELATED TIL ENTRIES
What are some tips for improving my Fluorescence/UV-VIS Spectrophotometer data?
What cuvettes can I use in my UV-Vis or Fluorescence/UV-VIS Spectrophotometer?
Can I order a custom LED for the Fluorescence/UV-VIS Spectrometer?
What is the difference between the types of cuvettes you sell for Spectrometers and the Colorimeter?
How do I check the lamp output of my spectrometer?
Can my Vernier-branded spectrometer be reconditioned? Can the lamp in my spectrometer be replaced?
Why is the maximum sample time for a spectrometer set at 1000 milliseconds?
Why are there blank data table cells in my spectrometer absorbance data?
My spectrometer is connected to a device and I get the error message, "Could not collect values from device," or "calibration failed" during calibration.
Is there a way to toggle on/off the colored background behind the absorbance spectrum graph?
My Spectrometer is not working properly. It won't calibrate or is giving very noisy data.
Spectral Analysis Troubleshooting and FAQs
The power LED indicator light on my UV-VIS or Fluorescence/UV-VIS Spectrometer is red.
Why can't my device find Go Direct Spectrometer when I try to connect via Bluetooth?
Do you have labs written for your spectrophotometers?
Can I do blackbody experiments with the Vernier or Ocean Optics Spectrometers?
Do you have a spectrometer that can measure DNA concentration and purity?
Can I use my spectrometer to collect data at one wavelength (kinetics or Beer's law)?
How do I get an A260/A280 value with your UV-VIS spectrometers in Logger Pro?
Why is the absorbance reading on my device (spectrometer/colorimeter) unstable or nonlinear at values above 1.0?
Why don't all of my spectrometers and/or Colorimeters read the same absorbance value for the same sample?
Tips for measuring Tryptophan fluorescence
What is the Z dimension or beam height of your Spectrometers?
What is the path length for the Vernier-branded spectrometers?
Full Specifications are listed here
in Absorbance mode? Yes
in Transmittance mode? Yes
in Emission mode? Optional
in Fluorescence mode? Optional
RELATED VERNIER PRODUCTS