Our environment is important to all of us. In this activity you will investigate your schoolyard as an environment. Scientists study large areas by looking at samples. One way to sample an environment is to look at data along a straight line called a transect. In this experiment, you will gather data along a transect in your schoolyard.
- Measure ground and air temperatures at various locations along a transect.
- Measure the light intensity at the same locations.
- Observe and classify the living organisms at those locations.
- Determine if there are temperature differences between the ground and air above it.
- Organize and present your results.