Short-term storage (up to 24 hours): Place the electrode in pH 4 or pH 7 buffer solution. It should never be stored in distilled water.
Long-term storage (more than 24 hours): Store the electrode in a pH 4 buffer/KCl storage solution in the storage bottle. The ORP electrode is shipped in this solution. Vernier sells 500 mL bottles of pH Storage Solution (order code PH‑SS), or you can prepare additional storage solution by adding 10 g of solid potassium chloride (KCl) to 100 mL of pH 4 buffer solution. Vernier sells a pH Buffer Capsule kit (PH‑BUFCAP) that includes a buffer solution preservative. Storing the electrode in this solution contributes to electrode longevity and retains electrode response time when the unit is placed back into service.
If the electrode is inadvertently stored dry for a short period of time, immerse the tip in the pH 4 buffer/KCl storage solution for a minimum of 8 hours prior to use. If the readings are still not accurate after calibration or if the response is slow, try shocking the sensor as described in the Troubleshooting section.
Go Direct ORP contains a small lithium-ion battery in the handle. The system is designed to consume very little power and not put heavy demands on the battery. Although the battery is warranted for one year, the expected battery life should be several years. Replacement batteries are available from Vernier (order code: GDX-BAT-300).
Storage and Maintenance
To store Go Direct ORP for extended periods of time, put the device in sleep mode by holding the button down for at least three seconds. The red LED will stop flashing to show that the unit is in sleep mode. Over several months, the battery will discharge but will not be damaged. After such storage, charge the device for a few hours, and the unit will be ready to go.
Exposing the battery to temperatures over 35°C (95°F) will reduce its lifespan. If possible, store the device in an area that is not exposed to temperature extremes.
Go Direct ORP is not water resistant and should never be immersed in water.
If water gets into the device, immediately power the unit down (press and hold the power button for more than three seconds). Disconnect the sensor and charging cable, and remove the battery. Allow the device to dry thoroughly before attempting to use the device again. Do not attempt to dry using an external heat source.