Teach students the visual detection capillary method of melting point determination with the Go Direct Melt Station. It accurately measures melting temperatures of a solid (up to 260°C), and the real-time graphing provides a unique perspective of the melting process.
The wide-angle observation and magnification window, LED-lit heater block, and adjustable tilt base give students a clear view of the substance as they witness the state change. Internal cooling fans reduce the waiting time between sample testing. Also included is an important safety feature that automatically powers down the heating block after 60 minutes with no change to the control knob.
The Go Direct Melt Station can be used in a variety of experiments:
- Determine the melting temperature of an known organic solid such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or caffeine.
- Identify an unknown organic solid by its melting temperature.
- Use melting temperature to analyze reaction products.
Wired or Wireless—The Flexibility to Choose
Our Go Direct sensors connect directly to your mobile device, Chromebook™, or computer using our free Graphical Analysis™ 4 app—no additional equipment or software purchases are necessary. Go Direct sensors can be used wired via USB or wirelessly via Bluetooth, allowing you to choose the solution best for your classroom or laboratory.
- Base: 13 cm × 15 cm × 1.5 cm
- Body: 9 cm × 9 cm × 24 cm
- Weight: 1.0 kg (2.2 lbs)
- Range: Ambient to 260°C
- Resolution: 0.10°C
- Accuracy: ±0.31 + 0.0006T, where T is the temperature in Celsius
- Safety shut down: The heating block is automatically powered down after approximately 60 minutes of heating.
- Capillary tubes: 1.4–1.8 mm outside diameter, 100 mm length
- Capillary tube slots: 3
- Viewing lens: 27 mm diameter (functional), 30 mm (actual)
- Lighting of capillary slots: 3 white LEDs
Lighting of control dial:
- Red LED (indicates heating mode)
- Blue LED (indicates cooling mode with cooling fan running)
- Yellow LED (safety shut off activated)
- Wireless: Bluetooth
- Wired: USB
View the Go Direct™ Melt Station user manual
Experiments and Lab Ideas
Vernier Chemistry Investigations for AP Chemistry (2)
Includes student instructions, teacher tips, safety information, and sample data.Go to Book Page
The Go Direct™ Melt Station is partially compatible with LabQuest 2 (version 2.8), a standalone data logger with built-in graphing and analysis software. Please see the compatibility notes below for details.
Learn more about LabQuest 2 »
- Go Direct Melt Station
- 100 standard capillary tubes
- Power supply
- Micro USB Cable
All prices are for U.S. educators.
Educational use only: Vernier products are designed for educational use. They are not appropriate for industrial, medical, or commercial applications. Product usage disclaimer »