Recommended for College. Interface and software sold separately.
The Chemical Polarimeter is a device used for measuring the rotation of plane-polarized light caused by optically active substances such as organic, inorganic, or biological compounds.
The Polarimeter can be used to measure chiral properties of optically active samples without chemically modifying or destroying the sample. This is a vertical polarimeter that uses a 589 nm LED, a fixed polarizer, and a manually rotated polarizer to detect changes in rotation of plane-polarized light in the presence of an optically active compound. Used with Vernier technology, students no longer have to determine the optical maximum with their eye but have a graph that shows a clear change in the light’s polarization.
- Encoder Resolution: 0.25°
- Accuracy (optical rotation measurements): ±1°
- Sensitivity: typically up to OD 2
- Optical Encoder: Bidirectional, quadrature encoder, 360 cycle per revolution
- Light Source: LED
- Wavelength (nominal): 589 nm
Download the user manual for full specifications
Experiments and Lab Ideas
Preview and/or edit the polarimetry experiments for your curriculum by downloading the experiments below. The Student download includes objectives, materials, procedures, and analysis. The Instructor download includes notes, sample results and graphs, and answers.
- Determine sugar solution purity by optical rotation.
- Characterize the purity of organic and inorganic syntheses yielding chiral products.
- Determine the enantiometric purity of optically active compounds.
- Resolve racemic mixtures.
- Study the kinetics of acid-catalyzed hydrolysis.
- Study the kinetics of enzyme-catalyzed hydrolysis.
- Explore the optical activity of amino acids.
- Vernier Chemical Polarimeter
- One Chemical Polarimeter Sample Cell
- User manual
The Polarimeter (Chemical) requires a compatible interface and software to collect data. Interface and software sold separately. Getting started with probeware »
The Polarimeter (Chemical) is compatible with these interfaces:
The Polarimeter (Chemical) requires data-collection software:
Educational use only: Vernier products are designed for educational use. They are not appropriate for industrial, medical, or commercial applications. Product usage disclaimer »