The Potassium Ion-Selective Electrode makes the measure of potassium ions portable. When used with a Vernier LabQuest 2, the Potassium ISE can be used to take readings in the field – at lakes or streams. This sensor is easier to set up and use than other methods of measuring potassium ion concentration in aqueous solutions. Because it is a stick-style sensor, its use is similar to using a conductivity probe or a pH sensor in a laboratory setting or in the field.
Ion-Selective Electrodes require good chemical technique and careful calibration to obtain accurate results. They are not recommended for middle school or elementary students.
We recommend that you do not purchase Potassium Ion-Selective Electrode replacement modules too far in advance of their expected time of use; degradation occurs while replacement modules are stored on the shelf.
Download the user manual for full specifications
- Range: 90 – 39,000 mg/L (or parts per million)
- pH range: 2 – 12
- Temperature Range: 0 – 40°C (not compensated)
- Interfering Ions: Rb2+, Cs2+, NH4+, Ca2+, Mg2+, Li+
- Electrode Resistance: >50 mΩ
- Electrode Slope: 56 +/- 4 mV/decade at 25°C
- Calibration Voltage (typical): 2.7 V (1000 ppm), 1.9 V (10 ppm)
- Reproducibility (precision): +/- 11% of full scale
- Minimum sample size: 3 mL in a 50 mL beaker
- Accuracy: +/- 16% of full scale
Preview and/or edit the potassium experiments for your curriculum by downloading the experiments below. The Computer and LabQuest downloads includes objectives, materials, procedures, and analysis. The Instructor download includes notes, sample results and graphs, and answers.
The Potassium Ion-Selective Electrode may require a compatible interface and software. Choose a platform below to see compatible interface and software options.
The Potassium Ion-Selective Electrode is fully supported with LabQuest 2 (version 2.8.1), a standalone data logger with built-in graphing and analysis software.
Learn more about LabQuest 2 »
You can also use the Potassium Ion-Selective Electrode with these platforms:
- Vernier Potassium Ion-Selective Electrode
- 30 mL bottle of High Standard Standard (1000 mg/L)
- 30 mL bottle of Low Standard Standard (10 mg/L)
- ISE soaking bottle (empty bottle with insertion cap)
- User manual
All prices are for U.S. educators.
Educational use only: Vernier products are designed for educational use. They are not appropriate for industrial, medical, or commercial applications. Product usage disclaimer »